Tuesday, January 7, 2014

22 Weeks 3 Days

I don't know about you, but twenty two and a half weeks feels like a BIG accomplishment! Only eleven and a half more to go. One week until I meet with my Perinatologist, and one and a half weeks before I get checked into the hospital.

I have had a lot of people ask how I'm feeling and I thought I would answer that here. I'm in pain about 80% of the time. (I want to say 95%, but that would be exaggerating. :) When you don't have a lot of amniotic fluid there isn't a 'cushion' between the baby and everything else. I know during previous pregnancies it has been painful when the baby has pushed against my placenta. Without the amniotic fluid there to be a buffer it is even worse. When she decides to stretch herself out there is pain everywhere. I worry about it getting worse as she gets bigger!

With my placenta leaking blood and it pooling at the top of my cervix it creates this weird pressure that actually feels better once the blood has passed. I'm not glad when I am leaking fluid or blood, but when the pressure is finally released I'm very grateful. Then there is the pain of cramping/contractions that come with or without the leaking.

Of course there are all of the discomforts that come with bed rest. What? Isn't it awesome laying in bed all day, you ask. No. No it is not. I keep telling Ryan everyone should have to go on bed rest for two weeks. The first day, or even two, can be quite nice. It's all downhill from there. Not even being able to get up to get yourself a drink of water is frustrating. It's hard depending on everyone around you for everything you need. There is usually one day a week that the pain is so bad that I am not able to shower. Once Trevan had to bring me my toothbrush so I could brush my teeth in bed. Gross. And slightly embarrassing.

What are the discomforts of bed rest? BO. Seriously, I stink some days (even within hours of showering)! When you're in bed, or on the couch, all day you get stinky. You should try it. Another thing that can happen is pulling muscles. When they are rarely used they can get pulled easily when you do use them. Last but not least is constipation (or as my sister would call it when she was little "frozen"). I have to take Metamucil and stool softeners regularly (regularly... ha ha). One morning I woke up to Trevan bringing me a full bottle of water and my stool softeners 'in case I need them'. Let's just say the kids are very familiar with all of this by now. *Side note - Ethan was peeling an orange yesterday and Trevan told him he was opening the uterus to get the baby orange out. Yep, my kids are becoming a little too familiar with all of this.

Even though I'm uncomfortable most of the time or in pain I still think it's worth it to have my beautiful baby girl. It definitely hasn't been the pregnancy I hoped for or was expecting, but I'm grateful I'm able to bring this baby into our family. She is loved already.

I will end with the things that I currently enjoy:

Shower-baths - I'm not supposed to take baths with my water being broken, so I lay in the tub and turn on the shower and pretend I'm taking a bath. The shower steams up the bathroom like a sauna. It's actually quite relaxing

The greatest friends and family a girl could ever ask for. I have had people help clean my house, watch my kids, come visit me, bring my family meals, and help me gain perspective. I am grateful for each one of them.

Everything digital - I have read books, watched TV shows, and shopped & played online. Thank you technology.

And finally the best... My family - My boys fill up my water bottle countless times a day, usually without being asked. They bring me treats and surprises they think I would like. They surprise me by cleaning up the house without being asked. Avella will constantly bring toys to me so we can play together or color together. She's constantly asking me if I need her to bring me my medicine. She loves to talk to baby Hazel (she pronounces it "Pazel"). And best of all is Ryan. I'm grateful to have a husband who is kind and generous. He serves me daily and doesn't complain. He works all day, sometimes at home where he helps with kids on his breaks, and then comes home and takes care of me, the children, and our home. He rarely has free time but doesn't complain. He is such a giving, compassionate, and empathetic person. Basically he rocks! I do realize how blessed I am to have him by my side for eternity.

Love,
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment