Tuesday, January 21, 2014

24 Weeks 3 Days, Day 4 in the Hospital, 9 Weeks 3 Days to Go

I didn't think I'd be updating so soon. Crazy how things can happen so quickly. First of all, thank you for all of the (quick!) prayers you sent our way today. It's amazing how much strength and peace we can feel so quickly through prayers sent our way.

I went downstairs this morning for NST (Non Stress Testing). They do it daily to monitor her heart rate. If they aren't satisfied with what they see/hear then they do a biometric scan (A scan that takes up to half an hour - They count body movement, lung movement/ breathing - hiccups count too, and big movements.) Yesterday and today they ended up doing the biometric scan because they weren't totally satisfied with the results they were seeing. They give points for each thing in the scan. Amniotic fluid is one set of points, clearly I get no points in that category. The most you can get is a ten. The most I can get is an eight. Yesterday I got four out of eight. I don't know the score today, but it was enough that they decided to not deliver her today. Yea! Every day she stays in the womb is a blessing as it allows her to keep developing and growing and giving her a better chance once she's born.

The scary thing today is when they said they thought they were going to have to deliver her. The Neonatologist came and talked to me (I wish Ryan had been there! It was hard to hear without him.) and told me the mortality rates of a 24 weeker. Not survival rates, the mortality rates and rates for severe disabilities, etc. We've heard these things before, but when you're being told 'we're going to deliver your baby and we don't think she'll make it' it's just scary. Ryan came rushing down to be with me after that. Love that man. Then the doctor came and did the biometric scan, he talked to the other doctor, they did blood work, and they told us they were going to wait because she seems to be ok for now. The Neonatologist came back and talked to Ryan and I together and even handed us a printout of the statistics on our baby. I don't know how helpful that was... We do appreciate hearing all of the possibilities and the decisions we might need to make.

My mind still feels a little rattled. I hope everything I've said makes sense. If it doesn't I'll try to fix it a little later. I wanted to update all of you as I know you are worried and praying for us. Thank you for your support. We love you.

Love,
Ella


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for thinking of all of us and updating while your going through so much right now. We will continue our support and prayers and cheer for the success of knowing she is staying inside a little longer and growing stronger as she does. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a great job of explaining it and it's good to hear an update on how you and the baby are doing. We pray she stays in there as long as she can! We are thinking of you often!! Please let us know what we can do! :)

    ReplyDelete