Monday, February 24, 2014

29 Weeks 2 Days, 5 Weeks 3 Days in the Hospital, 4 Weeks 4 Days to Go

I'm almost 30 weeks! My goal for so long has been to make it to the 30s, and I'm almost there! I think I need to have a party to celebrate.

Let's catch up. Shall we?

After the events of February third and fourth I was exhausted but recovering well. Later on that week I had a dream (again) of being with my family. In this dream we were camping and I spotted an owl. I excitedly called for Avella (they are one of her faves) and we watched it fly right over our heads. I can still see it, it seemed so real. I've had other dreams where I'm at home doing normal things. These mornings are the hardest to get out of bed. Waking up after I had that camping dream I felt sad and depressed. I was physically worn out and mentally and emotionally I wasn't sure I could do it anymore. I decided to acknowledge what I was feeling that day and let myself cry like a baby, but I decided I would need to work through it and be focused on the task at hand the next day. (Ryan will laugh at this. It is one of our family sayings - "Focus on the task at hand".)

I can't tell you how many times the nurse walked in on me crying. I think she was worried even when I assured her I was ok. So there I am crying and my friend Jen texts me to ask how I'm doing. Of course I answered honestly, and she texted that she was on her way over. It was such a great visit. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father answered my prayers that day and sent me Jen. She was the right person for that moment to help comfort me.

Fast forward to February 18th. About 10 am I started to bleed a little and I passed a few small clots. Of course they sent me straight down to Labor and Delivery. The problem was that I had just done my three hour glucose test that morning, so I hadn't eaten since the night before. If they think they're going to have to do a cesarean soon they won't let you eat. Thank goodness I figured that would happen so I scarfed down some Raisin Bran before they came to tell me. But before I was taken downstairs my nurse told me to hurry and eat my Cream of Wheat. She even closed the curtain around my door so that if the doctors came back in I would have time to hide the evidence. That little bit of food saved me! I wasn't able to eat again until around 3 pm.

After all of that when I finally made it back upstairs they told me I had gestational diabetes. Whenever I ask what else can happen with this pregnancy Ryan tells me to knock it off. I guess I should've listened to him. After about a day and a half the doctors told me they were surprised I was able to control my blood sugar levels with my diet because of how high my levels had been on the test. Ha! I love surprising the doctors. My diabetes is one of the few things I can control in my situation and I'm going to do the best I can.

Well, that brings us to today. I've been in a lot of pain the last few days. Hazel is growing bigger and oh my I can feel it! If you've been pregnant then you know how painful it can be when they try and stick their foot in your ribs. Take away all of the amniotic fluid and it's sooooo painful! Top that with her head being wedged in an uncomfortable spot, which exacerbates the symptoms of bed rest (mainly constipation) . I don't know how much longer my body will hold out. I've barely been able to walk to the bathroom. I've been feeling a little better today, so I'm hopeful I will feel better tomorrow.

Thanks for the prayers and positive energy. The end is in sight! We can do this!

Love,
Ella



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for updating Angela, I've been thinking about you and continue to pray for you and your family. You have every right to have a day to cry. You are such a great example of patience and enduring to the end.

    ReplyDelete