Thursday, March 13, 2014

All About Yours Truly...

Hm. Where to start. Let's start with the latest, then maybe we'll backtrack a bit later.

Tuesday night I ate dinner and noticed it didn't quite sit right. I have been having a hard time eating food though ever since the cesarean. I've been preferring to drink water or juice and eat Cream of Wheat and toast. I would be fine not eating anything, but the nurses (and Ryan and my Mom) don't like that. So most of the time I was being force fed. This happened a little after I had Avella so I didn't think much of it.

I went to bed early Tuesday night thinking I would wake up feeling better. Nope. I woke up at 10 pm and knew something was wrong. I went to the bathroom and realized I needed to throw up. I did and thought I would feel better because it was just what I ate. I then called my mom upstairs to come help me (you would've too if your mom was at your house). I really wasn't feeling well at this point. Stomach cramps and uterine cramps make a deadly combination. I tried taking a pain pill, but I threw it right back up. For the next five or six hours I was running to the bathroom puking and crawling back into bed. My Mom was there every. single. time. She crashed on the couch up in my room so she could be right there to help me. She emptied every puke bucket, gave me sips of water, rubbed my feet, got me Gatorade, and would sit by me until I could relax enough to fall back asleep. I would even start to moan or call her name and she would be there. Can you tell my Mom loves me? I sure can. I hope that I can grow up to be a little bit like her.

At about three or four in the morning I told my Mom to call 911 and that I wanted to go to the hospital. I realized it wasn't going to stop. I knew I had hit my limit and I needed to get hydrated and get some pain medication! The stomach cramping would not go away. I have never had stomach pains like this before and I wouldn't wish them on anyone. She called Wendy from across the street and asked her to sit with the kids. Wendy helped keep me calm while waiting for the ambulance. I don't know about you, but when I reach that point of pain where I am done then I am completely done! They could not get here fast enough.

I hate Eagle Mountain streets. Again, I hate Eagle Mountain streets! They are so bumpy. Ugh. The paramedic was trying to get my IV going and I asked him if it was a good time to try and do it because the roads were so rough. He told me there was never really a great time to do one in a moving vehicle. So reassuring. ;) He was actually great. He tried distracting me and he was calm. The whole team was great. What a hard job to have.

I was told I could go to AF Hospital or Riverton. I cried when they told me I couldn't go to IMC where my baby was. Hours after I had been at AF they told me they were going to transport me to IMC because my doctor was there. I told them I wasn't going to leave AF. At that point I knew this was the hospital I was supposed to be at. Funny how things work out. I asked them if my OB in Pleasant Grove could be over my case here since he was up to date on everything to that point in my pregnancy. He agreed to treat me here.

I think it is a good thing I didn't end up at IMC because I would feel guilty being at the same hospital as Hazel and not being able to go see her. I had been in severe pain (and puking/dry heaving) until last night when we finally figured out what pain medications I was responding well to and the dosing on them.

Off track, I know. I'm all medicated up. It's hard to focus. So all of this happened in the wee hours of Wednesday morning and it's now Thursday night. Here's the rundown. They did a CAT Scan in the emergency room which showed some of my intestines swollen and irritated and other parts completely flat. Ouch. I have not been able to pass gas or have a bowel movement since checking into the hospital. If I still haven't been able to very soon then I get to meet with the surgeon. I really, really, really don't want to have to have any kind of operation. This could end up being a blockage, kink, or Ileus (that is where your bowels shut down). Oh, I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything. I can sponge my mouth out with water. Yep.

All of the things I'm grateful for:
  • My Mom being by my side through all of this. Ryan has been out of town the entire time, so I've relied on her taking care of me. Plus it's so nice to have someone that loves you so much by your side.
  • My Father & Mother-In-Law and Sisters-In-Law. They have helped take care of kids and tidied the house just to name a few things. We are seriously so loved. I know they would be (and are) there in a heartbeat whenever we need them.
  • My Dad coming up here early to see me. And the fact that he makes me laugh. :)
  • All of my family. We have so much love and support and we are so blessed!
  • A Bishop and Elders Quorum President who took time out of their busy days to come and give me a blessing because they knew Ryan was out of town. I don't remember most of what was said, but I felt strength and peace and am grateful for that.
  • A ward family who is truly a family to us. They have stepped in even before we realized we needed help at times and they are quick to give more than what is asked.
  • Hospitals with caring doctors and nurses. It makes all the difference when you know they care.


That pink sponge is what I use to swab out my mouth. I wish I could chug that cup of ice water.

The lovely tube going down my nose sucks all of that green gunk out of my stomach and sends it to that container. I didn't think I had anything left when I got to the hospital...







 


Hazel's cute nurse made this for me. I opened up the envelope to find her hands waiting to give me a hug. Isn't that so sweet?



 



Her nurse also made me this get well scrapbook page since I couldn't be there to see her.
They are all worried about me over there too.
Those hand prints are precious.







2 comments:

  1. Wow. Firstly, that is seriously not cool. I am so sorry you are sick. That is just wrong. Secondly, you are so blessed to have such loving people around you. Your mom sounds like the best mom ever! Hazel's nurse is amazing. That is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry, that sounds awful! My eyes kept widening as I read what an incredible family you have to help you and your family. That is a rare and beautiful gift. As one who had to have a medical procedure while holding my toddler I can say having someone you love and trust be able to help is priceless. You are definitely surrounds by wonderful people what a caring, sweet nurse to make the cute hand with handprints. Sending healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete