Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The verdict is...

Six days down, 22 days to go!

This morning I had a very thorough ultrasound and we met with the Perinatologist. Here are the things I found out.

  • She weighs 2 lbs. 11 oz.
  • She is measuring 2 weeks and 5 days younger than her due date. At my 20 week ultrasound she was measuring 6 days younger. They aren't concerned about it being 2 weeks different now. So I suppose I should try not to worry about it either.
  • Her head is measuring larger and her body smaller. What? Our baby will have a big head? Shocker. ;)
  • All of her insides look great.
  • My amniotic fluid measured 6.8 - lower than friday. One more thing they are not worried about.
  • They will induce me at 34 weeks. If i go into labor before this they will let me deliver.
  • The only chance I will have of going home before this is if the ultrasounds show that the amniotic fluid has significantly increased and then they would do an amniocentesis to inject a dye and make sure there is absolutely no leakage. I would not be down with that.
  • She will be in the NICU for about a couple of weeks after she is born until she can breathe and eat well.
  • I have lost 2 lbs, which is bad because it's probably all muscle that I have lost. That's what happens when you sit in bed for almost a week. :(

It's good to know exactly what is going on. I felt like I had been waiting until this appointment to really let my brain process everything. The downside to that was that right after the appointment I cried and cried... and cried. And now I feel better. I am so glad Ryan was here with me. I do realize this situation isn't a worse case scenario. Sometimes I feel guilty about feeling so sad and worked up about all of this. But I am human and this is very real for me. Just because it isn't the worst case scenario doesn't mean it isn't hard in this moment.

7 comments:

  1. So true. Let your self grieve what ever loss you feel. Hang in there. Our prayers are with you and hoping everything will go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have every reason to cry, I think. Don't feel bad or guilty for feeling what you do. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything beyond a perfect 40 week pregnancy is bound to have any pregnant mama on the fritz! It's emotional and stressful and nothing at all what you were expecting. You are justified in feeling the way you do...not to mention being stuck in a hospital bed 24/7 is bound to mess with anyone's emotional state of mind!!! Hang in there! We're praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, you are completely right in feeling how you feel. Your expectations have been shattered and now you have to wrap your head around a new reality. It's never fun to be told you have to stay down, ick. So maybe pretend that this was all your idea and you always wanted to lie down for weeks on end. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure any mom in your situation would do a whole lot of crying! You are in a very stressful time, and you shouldn't feel guilty for feeling overwhelmed and worried. I'm glad you have a sweet husband to help you through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you friends for your sweet words. I get emotional reading them. My horomones are definitely present! It's nice to feel validated. Don't we all need good friends to do that every once in a while? So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cry cry away. I wouldn't expect anything less. We pray for you every night.....but I did have to tell Jude NOT to pray that you would have the baby. :) I think he was a little confused. I feel like such an awful friend. This has been an insane week. I will come visit next week! PROMISE!

    ReplyDelete